Friday, December 19, 2008

We survived the first week.

The last couple of days have gone pretty well, with one exception. I'm sure everyone knows that Ashton has to be put under for his radiation...every day. This is the hardest part for me, the watching him go to sleep and the waking up. The last thing I need is to have to worry about him while he is sleeping, but I do. I'm sure everyone would because there is always a risk with anesthesia. Yesterday, the anesthesiologist was in the recovery room when I came in and told me of a "little" problem they had. The mask Ashton wears over his face during radiation had pushed his lower jaw down enough to block his airway for a slight amount of time. They are close by and watching him all the time, so he came in the room and put an oxygen tube through his nose right away. This just bothered me so much, I mean...this is Stanford...aren't they experts at what they are doing?? I was told today that it had something to do with the roll of towels they had originally put under his neck...the towels were there for that reason, to keep his airway open. When they re-did his foam "mattress" they didn't need those towels anymore which in turn caused this problem. I was really concerned about today but they told me everything went smoothly. This mask he wears latches onto the table he is on and puts pressure on his face so that is why this happened. Do I have to worry about this everyday from now on?? I'm a mom, so the answer is yes.
Some good news is Ashton got to take his Escalade for its first spin yesterday and he had a blast! He was driving his sister all around and had all his grandparents there with cameras and video cameras to catch every second. My mom will be posting a photo of him for everyone to see...he just loved it! Today we got home super early and had a nice long afternoon to rest...well actually there is no resting for me...I'm a nurse to him 24 hours a day, but at least we were home. We even went and looked at Christmas lights this evening. We usually do the local poker run light cruise, but we missed it this year.

Ashton did surprising well today after his first full week of treatment. I expected him to be so sleepy but he was happy and having a great time at home. We received a backpack today for holding his bag of liquid "food" and the pump for it, which will be nice because we can take it everywhere. He is getting more and more used to it, but it still bothers him a little. He gags on solid food but we are hoping he will stop after he adapts. So that's it for now...week one down...now 5 to go!

No comments: