Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Hair and the White Church.

Ashton saw this photo above of himself today and said, "I want that hair again. I want hair like mommy's." I told him it would grow back soon but as I said it I knew it wasn't the truth. The dr.s told us today that they definitely want to start his radiation before the 13th. That would mean he starts next week. They also said all of his hair will fall out very soon thereafter.
I'm ready but I want Ashton to be ready too...I think he is, it would be nice if he was walking
and all that though.

Ashton has always been very obsessed with Holy Cross church. Whenever we come into town to visit my mom he spots it and talks about it. He calls it the white church.
Once this summer we even stopped and let him play on the stairs and I have many photos of him looking up at the tall steeple....it really is a beautiful church and a genuine Santa Cruz landmark. I don't know what brought the church up today but he started talking about it while we were waiting for the doctor. He asked if we could go to the white church again...he said he wanted to play on the grass, which is the park across the street from it, and then he said something so heartbreaking, he said "I'm gonna run and run on the grass.". Pat and I just looked at each other and thought how sad that sounds. He will run and run again soon...I may even take him by there tomorrow and see if it motivates him at all.

We had such a busy day at Stanford, but our appts. were spaced really far apart, so we had a lot of time to kill. We decided to go to the mall nearby and just wander around. The only place they had there with toys was Pottery Barn Kids. We took Ashton inside and let him check things out. It was actually really hard for me to see other kids running, and playing with the toys when I knew Ashton wished he could too. I got in line to buy a few things and I heard the check out woman say she was a grandma to the lady making purchases in front of me. Then I heard her ask if she would like to make a donation to St. Jude's hospital...Now, I have been asked that question, or some similar question, many times at Toys r Us or Safeway, and to be honest I have always said "not today." I will never say that again when it comes to any donation to a children's hospital. So, when my turn came, and I was asked this question, I had to go into specifics about our story and told her I would love to make a donation today. This woman started to cry and came around the counter and gave me a hug.....a complete stranger. She said I have to hug you because I know hugs are what you really need right now. I just thought that was so great.....and its true.
We got through our long day and Ashton was so happy to be home, he was in such a great mood. He has gotten back his sense of humor and his wit, he is being really funny lately.
Shortly after we got home, a dinner arrived again at the door. We are getting so spoiled! Everything we have been brought has been so delicious. Thank you everyone.....
it has really helped to have that, especially after a day like today. :)

No comments: