Thursday, December 4, 2008

A play date and Hope.

Pat went back to work again today and this time he made it through the whole work day without having to come home. I don't know how I made it, both my older kids stayed home with
sore throats. Cassidy's was going on the third day and a friend of mine who had her over recently let me know that her son had strep and that I should get her checked out. So I did....and she has strep throat. Of course now I will be watching Ashton very closely. I don't know what will happen if he gets it, don't know if it will set him back with his treatment.
My older son needs to go to the dr. tomorrow and get checked.......when it rains, it pours!

For the last few days I have been so excited to get to have a play date with Ashton's friends
this coming Friday morning. This afternoon, I got a call from Stanford saying they scheduled Ashton
to have his mask for radiation made for Friday at noon. That of course would make his play date impossible. He has to be put under for this procedure and that means he can't eat or drink after midnight tonight. He can have certain liquids up until 2 hours before surgery, but that won't help when he is hungry. Plus we have to plan the driving time, so I knew there would be no way to make our play date. I called and emailed everyone to see if we could make our date for this afternoon instead and fortunately many, but not all, were able to make it. It was great to see Ashton's face when he saw his friends. We all walked to Starbucks for hot cocoa and Ashton even wanted to get out of his stroller and sit on a couch in the shop with his friends. After that we went to the park and the boys played in the sand. Ashton had me take him down the big slide a couple of times and I usually don't do that....so it was fun for him. Thats one thing I will do when he gets better, play more with him. I can't wait! I really want to keep up our usual playgroup meeting once a week through his treatment and I hope I can. It depends on how he feels. Once we finally find out when it will start and what times, things will be easier to schedule.

Someone from the radiation clinic called today and told me he is set to start on the 15th.
Luckily Ashton's Oncology dr. called us later in the morning, letting us know what arm of
the "study" Ashton was randomized to, so I told her about the 15th start date. She said
"no way, thats not going to work". And that he needs to be in treatment before the 13th, which is exactly one month from his surgery. She was going to call me back about that but I haven't heard from her yet. I sure wish I could just get the date! Oh well, I know it will work out and he will start soon enough.

I got the sweetest gift today from a friend who brought us dinner. After showing us all the goodies we had to eat she said she had something for me. She had been Christmas shopping and something she saw made her think of me and so, she bought it. I opened the gold box it came in and inside was just the sweetest silver necklace. The pendant is a simple hammered circle and there are a few beads that dangle along side, but written inside the circle is the word "HOPE"
I will wear it everyday because I will be hoping everyday.....Thank you friend :)

No comments: