Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Eating problems continue.

Ashton has stopped eating. He started slowly over the weekend and it just keeps getting worse. Today he didn't have one bite of solid food. He had a few sips of hot cocoa and some water, but none of his usual favorites, cheese pizza, oreo's, and lemonade Capri sun, are even appealing to him anymore. He is constantly complaining of soreness in his mouth. The dr's say it could be a side effect of the Chemo. I'm to rub Ora-gel in his mouth, which I haven't been able to do yet because he doesn't want anyone touching it. I don't think it would help anyway, it would just make his mouth numb and who wants to eat with a numb mouth. I'm hoping they will give him a drug soon, one that causes hunger. It is so frustrating because as a mother my natural instinct is to feed my kid. To make matters worse, he say's he's hungry, then when I try to get him to eat he cries and cries. This is probably nothing compared to what we will be going through in the future though...just the beginning. He had his chemo and radiation today so that's good and he really didn't act too uncomfortable tonight. His grandma Mona arrived today to stay until Sunday. She took a train from Texas and has been staying at her sisters in Madera because she got sick. We really have to be careful about sick people now. The dr. said his white blood cells were a bit below normal and I know they will continue to drop. He will be getting the flu shot tomorrow so he can build antibodies to it while he still can. Nothing else much is new...we are still receiving dinners every night and are so thankful for them. Thank you all so much for helping! I also wanted to mention that I have some great friends who are planning a fundraiser called "skate for Ashton's sake". I don't know many details yet, just the date...Sat. Jan. 31st at the Scotts Valley Rink. I am so looking forward to this event, I feel like it will just be a nice celebration of Ashton. My only worry is that he won't be well enough to attend. He will be almost done with Radiation and that is when I've been told he will be very sleepy. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed because I know he would love to be there.

No comments: