Tuesday, November 25, 2008

What a day!

Ashton had his surgery today and did wonderfully. He now has his port and it
is located just above his left nipple. Looks a little strange, but the dr's said it should
be less noticeable once he gains some weight. He IS really skinny now and that is
one of my big worries because I know he will lose alot more weight once he starts
treatment. The port is so important though because it means they have access to
one major line for all his chemo and any blood work they may need. No more trying
to find a vein! He looks like a pin cushin as it is right now. I was noticing tonight
that there isn't one place on his body that doesn't have a bruise, scratch, pin prick,
stitch or adhesive tape mark. He really has been through it all. The dr. told us,
NO MORE SURGERIES! She said we are over a major hump so I'm feeling
pretty good! They also did a lumbar puncture today to test his spinal fluid for
any cancer cells floating around. They told me they are almost certain there will
be some because there are a few tumors in his spine already. This test just gives them the
"base" of what to go on regarding the treatment. They will do more lumbar punctures
in the future, during treatment, to check for cell's and if it is clear, then that means things
are working! So, I was told today to expect to start Radiation in about 2 weeks. That means
this Christmas our little guy may be feeling pretty sick, but it's important to start right
away because his tumors are aggressive.

I'm noticing lately that Ashton seems to be depressed. He is really bummed out
about not being able to do things and from the pain of the surgeries. I told the
dr's and they said that can happen. He does laugh though, mostly to spongebob or
his brother Carter, but he is also really quiet and withdrawn. This of course makes
me feel so bad and I think I need to get him together with his buddies or just take him
on walks in the fresh air. I really need to get him to want to walk again, as it is right now he
doesn't think he can, so he doesn't want to try.

No comments: