Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving gift.

Before any of this happened to Ashton, he had been asking for
a Black n Decker power tool bench (for kids) that he had seen
advertised on T.V. When he see's something he likes he will
let us know about it over and over and over. My parents were planning on
buying it for him for Christmas. When Ashton was in the hospital
they decided to get it for him early, for when he came home.
We've been home a week and he hasn't show any interest in playing
with it. How can he when one side of his body doesn't work right
and he can't stand up to play. We think it will be an excellent tool
to use with his physical therapy, and today we were proven right.
This afternoon Ashton actually wanted to go outside so I put
his sweatshirt on, prepared to go on a little walk. He asked
for his scooter, but when he tried to stand on it he got really frustrated.
We walked a bit with my family, but then he wanted to go back inside
and go to bed. Instead of bed I thought I would try the tool bench.
We had placed a small stool by it that is just the right height
for sitting and working with the tools. He surprised us SO much.
His face lit up and he was so excited! He sat at that bench for
at least twenty minutes and played away! He even used his "sad"
hand to help hold down the power saw....he did this over and over.
I also let go of him for 30 seconds or so and he had good control of his
back, he didn't fall over. What strength! The look on his face made my and the
rest of my families day. To think, exactly 2 weeks ago
he had major brain surgery and today on Thanksgiving, he gave us a
gift we certainly will never forget.

1 comment:

McElroy Family said...

I am so glad to hear that Ashton is improving. What a great Thanksgiving gift. Love Joy