Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Shoes.

I am wearing a pair of shoes.
They are ugly shoes.
Uncomfortable shoes.
I hate my shoes.
Each day I wear them, and each
day I wish I had another pair.
Some days my shoes hurt so bad
that I do not think I can take
another step.
Yet, I continue to wear them.
I get funny looks wearing these
shoes.
I can tell in others eyes that they
are glad they are my shoes and
not
theirs.
They never talk about my shoes.
To learn how awlful my shoes are
might make them uncomfortable.
To truly understand these shoes
you must walk in them.
But, once you put them on, you
can never take them off.
I now realize that I am not the
only one who wears these shoes.
There are many pairs in this
world.
Some women ache daily as they
try and walk in them.
Some have learned how to walk in
them so they don't hurt quite as
much.
Some have worn the shoes so long
that days will go by before they
think
about how much they hurt.
No woman deserves to wear these
shoes.
Yet, because of these shoes I am a
stronger woman.
These shoes have given me the
strength to face anything.
They have made me who I am.
I will forever walk in the shoes of
a woman who has a child with
cancer.
~~Author unknown.

I got this poem from another mom whose son is fighting the same cancer Ashton is.
These boys are warriors! I want to dedicate this poem to this mom, Catherine, and to
Carmen, whose little warrior Ty is back in CA after having intense treatment done in NY.
Also, to Becky, Kim, Eileen, and Grace, who give me such hope.
We all wear these same shoes.

Ashton continues to get better but we will be at the hospital until his white counts recover.
Each day he is looking more and more like himself...a little bit at a time.

2 comments:

Foyever4 said...

Thank you for sharing, Dori. That was beautiful. My thoughts and prayers go out to all of the other Moms you mentioned.

carmen10 said...

wow dori, that poem said it all!this is situation is so surreal to all of us but we make the best of it because these are our boys and will do absolutely anything for them :)this experience is nothing we signed up for but it has made us stronger and we will get through this!!

glad we got to talk today :)

keep the faith!

love
carmen