Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Two days to go!

Well gang, just two days of radiation to go! Ashton did his final chemo this morning so we said goodbye to all of our wonderful nurses in the day hospital. Nurse Mary, nurse Melissa, and nurse Heather...you guys are so great..thank you for being so sweet and kind to Ashton. We will miss you these next 6 weeks but I'm sure we'll pop in to say hello at some point. And we will be back for the rounds of chemo to come.

Ashton is doing so great...these last few days he has wanted to go to the park. He rode his trike all over the place and is just thrilled with himself for being able to do that. I feel like summer vacation is just a couple of days away. That's how anxious I am to get to our break. It is so wonderful to know I can maybe take a shower in the morning again and drive the kids to school...just get back a bit of my old "normal" life. I have to say though, these last weeks haven't really been as bad as I thought. Everything went better then expected. I really thought Ashton would get sick with something and have to be hospitalized or just get a fever, but he has been just as healthy as can be. He does have his bouts of vomiting though and to tell you the truth he has been doing it more lately. The last two mornings he has thrown up as soon as he wakes, which makes me panic a bit because that is what his main symptom was before we knew he had a tumor. I actually talked to his dr. today because he threw up twice before we left and it just didn't seem right. She reassured me that it just isn't possible that the tumor has grown back and causing him to be sick. She did mention something about brain swelling, and that got me worried, but told me most likely it is because his anti-nausea meds have worn off. She called me tonight just to let me know that there is no way he has any swelling, she had been under the impression that he had a shunt and sometimes they can malfunction, but that isn't the case. So, I feel better. I'm so lucky to have such a great dr. to communicate with! :) She will be seeing Ashton tomorrow for a check up just to be on the safe side, but I think he is going to be OK.

After Thursday it will be pretty much watch and wait in regards to getting the feeding tube removed. They want him eating before they take it out and unfortunately Ashton doesn't want to eat because it is in. I'm hoping he gets a big enough appetite and won't care that its there. He really will feel much better once its out and so will I.

We are gearing up for our little man's big night this Saturday! (http://www.ashtonscircleofhope.net) There have been a lot of great people working hard to make this event possible and I want you all to know I really appreciate everything! I feel like I sound like a broken record...I say it so much, but I don't know what else to say! Words just aren't enough. I am so looking forward to seeing friends from near and far...I feel like its prom night or something! How silly!


Ashton has seen his banner hanging out in front of the sport center and at first he wouldn't look at it. Now he looks and talks and asks when his skate party is....he is getting excited too! He's also going to sleep later each night so its looking more and more like he will be there, hooray!

Another thing...Ashton's cause on facebook has 180 members now! That just blows me away....

So, 2 days to go, then a really big party and then 6 whole weeks of relaxing, playing, laughing, hopefully some walking, and then some running! The way things are going for Ashton now....anything is possible.

1 comment:

Foyever4 said...

Aah, Dori, what a great post. It sounds like Ashton is doing very, very well. I'm sure it is such an encouraging site to see him riding around on his tricycle. I know this is just the beginning of those encouraging moments, and they will be happening more and more every day.

Evan's been asking me everyday, "is this the skate for Ahston day?" He can't wait, and neither can the rest of us.

Good luck tomorrow! Yeah, it's your last day! Great job Ashton! You're a rock star!

See ya Saturday.
Becky