Monday, March 9, 2009

1st round.

Ashton is starting his first round of chemo tomorrow. We don't know the exact time he is being
admitted, we have to wait for a phone call letting us know when there is a bed available. It could be morning or evening. He, and I, will stay two nights and three days. He gets a 6 hour course of Cisplatin, this is the scary chemo that causes hearing loss. He will also get a syringe push of Vincristine, which he has had before with radiation. There is also another chemo but that one is shorter and I can't remember the name :) After the 6 hour chemo he will get a 24 hour flush of saline to rid his body of the medication. He will also be evaluated to see how he does. We will not be able to go home if he is sick and can't keep foods down or if he gets a fever, which we were told is highly unlikely. They did tell me that his reaction will be the worst these first few rounds, so of course I'm worried about that. We pretty much know these next 6 months will be rocky and we will be in the hospital more then we expected, for fevers, transfusions, blood draws, etc. There is absolutely no set schedule...the 28 day cycles are not going to be. Everything depends on how Ashton is doing and if he is healthy enough to go another round, but that doesn't compromise his cure at all. I will try and post more these next few days...I will have my laptop in the hospital. We got to take a peek at where we will be staying and its really nice. It is a brand new ward and every room is private with our own bathroom, which let me tell you is a great thing! Ashton is also not confined to his room. He can walk about with his IV and play in the playrooms, but I'm wondering if that will even happen. He is still really sleepy from the radiation. Its good to know we have the option though. Wish him luck!

3 comments:

Foyever4 said...

We'll be thinking super good thoughts for you two, Dori.

It's so nice that you'll have that nice, big, private room with the big flat screen TV loaded with fun movies for Ashton. Hopefully he'll be feeling up to that. We stopped in and saw the new 1 North a couple weeks ago, and it is such a major improvement from what it used to be. Hope you can make the best of it and use the nice family area and play room too.

Again, we're thinking strong, healing thoughts for Ashton...

Take care.
Becky & Family

Patti Erickson said...

We will be praying for you guys!
Love,
The Erickson Family

Colleen Swolgaard said...

I am not sure you will remember me, but I worked with your mom at Westlake. I'm Colleen Swolgaard. I live in So. Cal now but read the SC Sentinel everyday and found Ashtons blog through Robin Reyes. I just want you to know that I am following your journey and praying for a wonderful outcome. It is hard to see that adorable picture of Ashton at the top and then read the difficult times he has had to go through. I was so glad to read about your recent tests. I'll be thinking and praying for you as you go through "1st round" and I know it will be hard but I hear your stregth in your writing and know you will come through this. Leaving you with only good thoughts Colleen