Monday, March 30, 2009

12 days...and still counting...

Well, we are still in the hospital. I can't believe we have been here 12 days now. This is the longest Ashton has had to be admitted. Even when he had brain surgery, we were out in 9 days.
It all started with the fever on the 17th, they gave him antibiotics and his fever went away. Of course his fever happened on the EXACT day his white counts dropped so we were told it could be a while before they came back up. Things were going good until he got another fever last week and they had to start another antibiotic. That fever is gone now too, thank goodness. We don't know exactly what they were caused from. When his white cells are down, any bacteria entering his body can potentially cause an infection, so its hard to know if he did have an infection or if it was just viral. Whatever it was, the fevers were keeping his white counts low so that added to reason for our long hospital stay.

I am happy to say that his white counts are starting to rise, slowly but surely. The dr. this morning said we could possibly go home tomorrow if they continue to go up. I'm thrilled!
Of course he will only have about a week break before starting chemo again....I'm hoping this time there are no fevers and the month can go a little more smoothly. I am hearing so many hopeful stories and definitely see the light at the end of the tunnel. 5 months to go!!

Keep Ashton in your thoughts and prayers please as he gets ready for round 2 of chemo.
This stuff he is getting is so potent. My mom asked the dr. the other day why we see other kids
walking around with energy and smiles as they are getting their chemo. The dr. said the stuff Ashton is getting (Cisplatin) is some pretty yucky and strong stuff. The other children we see are getting something different.

Its kinda weird to say this, but I am going to miss this place a little. Here I know that Ashton is getting taken care of, is monitored, and they give him all of his feeds and medications! Once we leave, its all up to me and Pat. I feel very safe here. The only thing that scared me a was a few nights ago at around midnight, I heard a stampede of footsteps running down the hall. Then I heard nurses frantically giving directions to some other people, probably doctors who were arriving. I knew that there was a major emergency in one of the rooms down the hall. I didn't think something like that could happen here, even though there are emergency medications printed out and taped above Ashton's bed, I thought they are there by law, not because we may need them. Shortly after this all happend, our nurse came in and I asked what had happened. She said that there was a "very sick" little girl down the hall, who had been very sick for a long time and she had lost her airway and they needed to intibate(sp?) her. They ended up moving her to another floor, I'm assuming the PICU. I hope she is doing ok. All of these little sweet souls in this ward just don't deserve this, no one does.

No comments: