Friday, June 26, 2009

10 days....

Ashton was just released this afternoon from the hospital. He had got a fever on Tuesday, the 15th and sure enough he had no white count which means automatic admission. This time our stay was 10 days. UGH! Time went by pretty quickly though. There was much to do and a lot going on. He ended up having a bladder infection so it was good we came in when we did. He spent almost the whole admission feeling great and wanting to play so we were pretty much out of his room most of the time. On one of his walks with Pat, Ashton twisted his ankle which required him to have an x ray. Everything looked fine, just showed some signs of swelling and he didn't walk on it for two days. Thank goodness for the wagons they provide at LPCH! Ashton has been gaining so much weight and you can really feel it when holding him. He is doing so well! So now we are looking forward to some fun and relaxing times before the next chemo. Summer is here, the warm weather and no school means fun and less stress for us. No having to drive back and forth to pick up kids for a while! We are so looking forward to the 4th of July parade here in Scotts Valley. My friend Ruby is sponsoring a float for us and we will walk in it as "Ashton's Circle of Hope" I am inviting anyone who wants to walk with us to join us. The fireworks afterward are going to be great. The 4th is one of my most favorite holidays. Anyhow, that's whats been going on with us. Sorry for not updating sooner. I always update on Facebook so many friends knew we were in the hospital already.

Other new news is Ashton will be having his first eye appointment on Monday. His left eye muscle is still very week and his eye turns in most of the time. I'm not sure what we will do about that whether he will have exercises or if surgery may be in the future. I can't wait to find out. Also, we don't know for sure yet, but Ashton's doctor thinks she may not give him anymore of the big chemo Cisplatin due to the slight hearing loss he has had. This means he may not feel as sick with these last two chemo's and it definitely means one less night to have to stay in the hospital, yippee!

Also, I know I mentioned a few posts ago about a new drug Ashton had started to take for nausea. This drug was called Reglan. It worked wonderfully for quite a while. He seemed to feel better and have much more energy because of it. Well, on the Thursday before last, Ashton started to make weird faces and smack his lips. I didn't catch on until later that night when his dr. stopped by and mentioned the reglan and the side effects. I had been warned of these side effect by my Mom, and yes Mom, you told me so. Anyway, I guess his doses just started stacking up and finally he got some of the strange effects from this drug. Needless to say he will NEVER take it again. It took him a few days for it to wear off and sometimes, for some people, it never does. You can google it, there are terrible things said about it. Thank goodness we caught it when we did.

Well, that's all for now. I'm so looking forward to this next week with not much to do. I will update more later.

2 comments:

karen said...

Sorry you had to spend 10 days in the hospital. Not fun!! However so glad to hear that Ashton is doing so well. As I have posted before my 11 year old nephew is going through the same thing as Ashton. He is a real trooper working really hard with his physio. He is in the middle of cycle 2. One of his medications was reduced also due to a slight hearing loss. I will keep you in my prayers. Oh by the way could you e-mail me your name or facebook link.I would love to follow how you and your family are doing. Wishing you a happy summer
Karen

ashton update said...

Karen, send me your email address and I will send you my facebook link. Doribelle31@aol.com. Is there a way I can read about your nephew?

Thanks!