Thursday, September 3, 2009

The Hospital, again.

Today we came home from a 5 day hospital stay for fever. Ashton got a little warm on Saturday, nothing too high. But, to be on the safe side we had to go into the ER and they admitted him because of his low white count. Well, it wasn't low, it was pretty much zero. It was good we went in because he needed platelets and red blood, bad! He did amazing the whole time we were there, never acted sick at all. Today his counts showed signs that they are rising so we got to go home! We said goodbye to the nurses and staff like we wouldn't be staying with them anymore. I sort of wish we hadn't because what if it jinxed me and he relapses. I know from many stories that they can relapse weeks, months, or even several years from now. How horrible to have to worry about that! My heart hurts everytime I think of the burden that will put on our family, but at the same time I also feel such gratitude to have Ashton here with us now. I need to take one day at a time and watch him carefully for signs of the cancer returning. One major sign would be the vomiting first thing in the morning. I'm going to be a wreck each time he throws up! Pretty much for the rest of his life. So, the next big thing is his lumbar puncture to check for cancer cells and his MRI. The LP is first, but I dont have the date yet. The MRI is set for Sept. 23rd. I will be out of my mind that whole week but will definitely update as soon as we know the results. I'm not even sure if anyone is reading this anymore! :) But if you are, for now we are going to be working on getting Ashton stronger and we are so excited to see some hair grow back! This is a VERY exciting time for us, but also very scary. We are on our own now with no chemo so basically it feels like treading water in the middle of the ocean with no land in sight. Does that make sense?:) Also, please continue prayers and positive thoughts for our friend Ty. He had a really important scan today and we are hoping to hear he is finally cancer free. He is such a cute tough kid!
I will update soon.

4 comments:

karen said...

Glad Ashton is at home and doing so well. I will continue to send prayers and positive thoughts his way!! My nephew has his second MRI since radiation and chemo began and is cancer/tumor free!!! We are so so grateful. He still has another 7 months of treatment ahead of him and has physio 3 days a week. He works so hard and takes everything in his stride. He just made a youtube video with his little brother of him doing brain surgery with a hand vac!! Ashton has a very strong team behind him and has come through so much at such a young age that it will no doubt stand to him as he continues his journey through life.
Best wishes
Karen

Jeff and Jen said...

So glad to hear that Ashton is feeling great and doing well. Of course we will keep on reading and praying for your little guy. You guys are an amazingly strong family, God is so good. hang in there.

Sue Sutherlin said...

Yes, I check in every week to see how Ashton and your family are doing! Thanks so much for the updates!

kim iden said...

Hey you, I think of you all daily...every single day...and yes I ck for your posts on here...you are amazing and your entire family is so lucky you are their mommy and Pat is beyond lucky you are his wife...you are my inspiration, my hero...we are all in such awe of you sweet Dori....much love to you, Kim and family XO